I started this as a demonstration exercise for the Friday group. Finished it today.
This is the second version of another smaller painting. The small one is 30x30cm and this one is 40×40. Doesn’t sound a big jump but in area it’s nearly twice the size.
I wanted to see how the brushwork would appear in an upscaled picture. I found I wanted to make the strokes much larger due to the influence of the original. It wasn’t possible though as I underestimated the size of brush I would have needed. So more strokes to say the same thing. It worked at the water foreground, but got too busy in the sky and hills on the horizon.
I think I should have started fresh and not referred to the original so much. I am moving towards more of an abstract rendition and don’t feel it is far enough away from reality here. I’ll keep on keeping on though. All good.
The original is below:-